Today I visited Chick-Fil-A Corporate Headquarters. I was like a kid in a candy shop! Our tour included lunch in the cafeteria and seeing lots of workspaces. I enjoyed seeing a wall in the innovation area displaying all the product release dates...
- Chicken Sandwich 1962
- Waffle Fries 1985
- Chicken Biscuit 1986
- Kid's Meal 1987
- Spicy Sandwich 2010
- There was lots of innovations through the years..these are my personal favorites!
Something that hit me as we toured was the way everything looked "nice." From the cars displayed in the lobby to office areas, nothing was shabby or half-way done. My favorite part of the tour was a mock-up of a Chick-Fil-A restaurant interior. It was a fully functional restaurant mock-up built inside a warehouse. It looked like a movie set from the back, but a Chick-Fil-A from the inside. To build all that "set" for training and development purposes costs a lot of money, but I would argue that it is worth it.Here are 5 reasons why you have to spend money to make money:
- What you model for your staff is how they will treat your customers.
- You can't cut corners when trying to make a change that people will notice (or a change that matters).
- Investing in the customer experience creates long-term fans.
- Generosity pays (for customers & for employees)
- Being a cheap-skate doesn't pay..... ever.