We had a cake smash the other night ... our friends Nic & Meredith transformed their living room into a photo studio and allowed us to invade!
It was a lot of fun, but I learned these 6 Tips for Your Next Cake Smash....
- Bring a change of clothes. It is obvious to bring clothes for the baby, but we needed a change of clothes at the end of it all too!
- Try out cake and icing before the cake smash. We haven't really exposed Madison to much "human food" other than occasionally giving her some rice or beans at a Mexican food place. I think she would have enjoyed it more if she knew that cake was something awesome to get into.
- Play music. This idea hit me late in the game, but all babies love music and it can help set the mood for lots of smiles, hand-waving, and fun baby dance moves.
- You can't have too many cameras. We were at Meredith's house for her to take pictures, but I also brought my video camera ... our friend Haley was there taking pics with her phone, and I was taking pics with my phone too. You can't predict all the fun expressions, movements, or moments so have plenty of cameras running the whole time!
- Familiar snacks can help. When Madison got kinda tired of the cake, we got things exciting again for her with some of her favorite snacks like Cheerios.
- Relax & just enjoy it. It won't go exactly according to plan ... and that unpredictability is what makes a baby cake smash so much fun. So let your hair down and just join in the fun ... expecially if you followed Tip #1 and brought a change of clothes!
After watching this time-lapse video of our evening at the cake smash, Emily said, "No wonder we were sweating when it was over!"